The Hess Tioga facility was a green field project that required the development of 475 acres adjacent to Tioga, ND. The primary focus of the facility was to load Bakken Crude Oil and NGLs (Propane, Butane, Natural Gasoline) onto unit trains for delivery to southern markets. The facility housed a fully automated 20 spot crude oil rail loading rack (loop track), 16 spot NGL rail loading rack (ladder type), 8 spot truck offloading rack, crude storage tanks, and a crude oil pump station. The crude oil rail rack was required by specification to load a 109-car train in 12 hours but was designed to load a full train in just under 9 hours. A 10 car NGL unit train was loaded in under 12 hours with product being pumped over 3 miles from the Tioga Gas Plant. Excellence Engineering’s support of the project extended from 2010 into 2014 as the facility evolved and the nearby gas plant was brought online.
- Project Management
- Extensive LED Lighting Design
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil/Structural Engineering
- E&I Engineering
- Construction Support and Inspection
- Programming, Startup, and Commissioning
- Operator Training
Notable Accomplishments & Challenges
- Tioga facility was constructed during the major boom in North Dakota.
- Major utilities had to be upgraded and brought to site, local skilled labor was in short supply, and harsh winter conditions for construction and startups were all encountered.